Wednesday, January 4, 2012

A Week Of Forty Below

Wow, its still forty below, I think to myself as I log on to double check what my yard thermometer is telling me. You would think that after all these cold winters I have under my belt that one more wouldn't be a problem but I spend a lot of time thinking about what I could be doing if we lived in a warmer local where I could grow food year round. I sometimes dream of those unreachable things all Alaskan gardeners must dream about. You know things like fruit trees, I could really go for some fresh pears, apples and oranges. I read at the co operative extension service has grafted an apple tree onto the roots of some sort of cranberry bush. So far these precious graft-lings have survived in a cold tunnel which protects them from high wind and snow.We have had extreme cold as you know to 60 below and their survival is promising. I have planted a crop of tomatoes this winter as I just cant wait until spring. I expect to be eating fresh tomato sandwiches by my birthday in March.

No comments:

Post a Comment